Classical Guitar Lessons Online with Dr. Simon Powis
Simon Powis is the rare combination of a virtuoso guitarist and a thoughtful, forward thinking pedagogue. – Ben Verdery, Yale University.
Simon displayed outstanding sensitivity and a musical maturity that was worthy of any professional concert platform. – Huffington Post
This site has a wonderful community of guitarists from all over the world who are here to improve their playing and follow their passion. I hope you will join us in celebrating the classical guitar.
Classical Guitar Curriculum
There are a number of resources out on the internet, but I find most of them overwhelming because it is hard to know where to start. On this site, I have divided up my curriculum into Five Levels
Fundamentals – Level 1 -Level 2 – Level 3- Level 4
The fundamentals start right at the very beginning and the Level 4 materials are suitable for advanced players and university students. Levels 1, 2 and 3 bridge that gap with a steady path to reaching your goal.
Beginner Classical Guitar Lessons
The first steps are important, because you are setting up a technique that will hopefully serve you for years to come. A solid foundation will allow you to progress to more advanced techniques and repertoire, so I believe in starting things out the right way.
- The Beginner Package is the best option if you are starting out with classical guitar, it is comprehensive and saves you a lot of money!
- Fundamentals of the classical guitar: If you have just picked up the guitar and are starting from the very beginning.
- Notation & Sight Reading – Level 1: This course starts at the beginning of reading music and will take you all the way to reading your first pieces in Level 1. By taking this course you will be completely prepared to tackle all of the Level 1 repertoire and take the Level 1 Technique & Musicianship Course.
- Technique & Musicianship – Level 1: Focusing on core techniques of the classical guitar, this course will set up your technique correctly from the very beginning. It follows a logic progression and pushes you while not jumping around so that you get frustrated. The techniques you will learn in this course cover all you need to know for the Level 1 Repertoire Book and the Level 1 Technical Routines.
If you have been playing for some time and you want to further develop your skills there are several resources for the advancing guitarist.
- Technique & Musicianship – Level 2: Picking up where Level 1 left off, we are now going to look at advancing techniques that get you out of first position and deal with more complex repertoire.
- Guitoberfest Online: This is a live workshop with four teachers that runs in the month of October. With a variety of intermediate and advanced repertoire this workshop focuses on instilling good practice habits and developing a solid approach to learning music.
Practice Materials for Classical Guitar Study
To compliment the courses on this site and to provide you with additional, structured practice material, I have built the Practice Pass. A large collection of exercises, scales, duets, theory lessons, sight reading and rhythms that will provide hours upon hours of practice material so you don’t have to go searching. The Practice Pass will work well alongside the courses or in isolation.
Classical Guitar Podcast
The Classical Guitar Corner Podcast brings you master musicians from around the world in conversations that provide insight into their learning process.
Some highlights so far include:
Free Classical Guitar Lessons:
My goal with Classical Guitar Corner is to help people. I want to share the information that I have been so fortunate to receive. So, my complete curriculum is available in written lessons. Here are some of the most popular lessons on the site:
- L101 Practice Techniques 1
- L211 Scale Practice
- L217 Phrasing: The sentence structure
- L301 Vibrato
- L317 The CAGED System on the Classical Guitar
- L402 Six String Scales
- L410 Memorizing Music
- L415 Economy of motion in the left hand
Technique and Repertoire Books
To accompany the video courses and to give you some structured practice I have written a number of books that are available on the site. There are several types. Repertoire, Technical Routines, Repertoire Workbooks and the almighty Scale book!